1. Drink only plain water, coffee/tea without sugar (adults only) or plain milk in between meals. Juices/fizzy drinks advertising as ‘low sugar’ or ‘sugar-free’ may still cause decay.
2. When you get hungry, eat only food or drink that does not contain sugar (see below for a suggested snack).
3. Have sugary foods, or drinks (including fresh and diluted juices) only at mealtimes, not between meals.
4. Brush your teeth, with a fluoride toothpaste, morning and night for 2 minutes each time and ‘Spit not rinse’- ensure you do not rinse your mouth with water following tooth brushing so that the fluoride in the toothpaste can protect your teeth against tooth decay.
Suggestions for snacks
Carrot and cucumber sticks
Nuts (not for under 5 years old or those with a nut allergy)
Savoury sandwiches (e.g. tuna and cucumber, egg and cress, cheese and carrot etc…)
Please note that the frequent consumption of fruit between meals can cause decay and erosion due to natural sugars and acids in the fruit.
We hope that
everyone is keeping safe at home during this pandemic.
As we are unable to see patients for hygiene treatment, for now, prevention of gum disease and tooth decay is more important than ever.
Here are a few tips to keep your gums and teeth healthy whilst staying safe at home:
1. Brush your GUMS 2x daily, for 2 mins each time. You should ensure you brush your gums last thing before bedtime, this is the most important time of the day to brush.
2. Use dental floss/tape or interdental brushes such as TePes 1x daily. This will ensure removal of plaque in between your teeth, where your toothbrush cannot reach.
Long handled TePes are recommended for patients who may struggle to use the normal sized TEPEs- e.g. for patients with arthritis.
TePes are RE-USABLE, so after use, wash the brushes with water and re-use until the bristles become splayed and worn.
TePe interdental brushes and floss can be purchased directly from Reception after you have completed your hygiene appointment or due to the pandemic online or supermarkets.
If you notice your gums bleed when brushing or flossing, do not be alarmed. This may be a sign of gum disease, and the bleeding should reduce and stop within 7-14 days of effective daily toothbrushing and interdental cleaning.
3. Use a daily fluoride toothpaste containing high fluoride content such as Colgate or Aquafresh.
‘Spit not rinse’- ensure you do not rinse your mouth with water following tooth brushing so that the fluoride in the toothpaste can protect your teeth against tooth decay.
4. Mouthwash is NOT a recommended treatment for gum disease (except Corsodyl), so please focus your attention and energy on mechanical plaque removal with toothbrushing and floss/TePe use. Please be aware that Corsodyl mouthwash causes staining of the teeth.
Definitely a long time to have not seen a dental hygienist and WAY OVERDUE!
Harneek Sangha and I both joined CrownWood Dental and MediSpa at the same time, so I thought it would be a good reason to book an appointment to see her.
To be honest, I did feel really nervous, plus I knew that my teeth were highly sensitive. PAIN was at the forefront of my mind…..I just thought…. this is going to HURT!
Back in the 90’s was the last time that I saw a hygienist and all I remember was a lot of scrapping, plus a sense of feeling like my teeth were being pulled out! Not a nice experience in my recollection.
I explained my anxiety and sensitivity to Harneek, she was very understanding and asked if I would like to have some sedation or numbing gel. YES was my immediate answer. As I’m not overtly keen on needles, I decided to go for the latter option…the numbing gel.
The gel took a few minutes to take effect and then Harneek got to work.
I was suitably surprised at how easy the whole process was. Harneek talked me through each stage and what all the noise correlated to. This put me at ease and I subsequently began to relax.
After the cleaning finished, which took around 25 minutes, Harneek showed me the results in a mirror…..WOW, they looked amazing, so CLEAN and FRESH, just fantastic. I could actually feel each individual tooth with my tongue.
After the cleaning, Harneek then worked her magic with the Airflow stain remover. This didn’t take much time at all and the results were impressive, my teeth looked much whiter and actually sparkled!
Literally, there was nothing to worry about! Hygiene appointments have certainly moved on since the 90’s. The process was PAIN FREE. I would highly recommend going to see a hygienist, you will be super excited about the results.
Thank you Harneek.
If you would like to book an appointment with one of our three hygienists, Harneek, Aggie or Clare, please do call us on 01344 482 882 or email email@example.com.
For some visuals, I’ve attached a brochure about Airflow Stain removal which shows you the GREAT results that can be achieved, as well as Teeth whitening which we also offer here in the practice and home kits.